To Good Genes or not to Good Genes. That is the Question.

There is a lot of buzz out there for the cult favorite GOOD GENES ($105). But Sunday Riley, the brand which makes this cult phenomenon is also cultivating a lot of buzz for bad business practices. I'm not one for supporting a company that fakes reviews. Maybe those fake reviews created the buzz to make GOOD GENES phenomenon; maybe they didn't. But in truth real people do love the product. Because lactic acid is an effective ingredient.



Lactic acid, is lactic acid though. There are plenty of other brands that carry a good lactic acid product. For a one to one, meaning basically the same product/function, I actually prefer Tata Harper RESURFACING SERUM ($88). GOOD GENES is good but in my experience RESURFACING SERUM from Tata Harper is better and more effective.



I recently discovered Thrive OVERNIGHT SENSATION Brightening Sleep Mask ($62) which combines glycolic and lactic acid and that is working well for me right now. I've happily used Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle Pads ($58) in the past as well but I'm currently preferring products that you leave on (serum/overnight mask) to a 10 minute mask.



The point is, I make sure to have an exfoliating serum or mask in my arsenal at all times. Depending on what's going on with my skin, I use a chemical exfoliant 2 to 3 times a week. If my skin is acting sensitive I dial it back to maybe once a week. If my skin needs more I'll use it more often. I know I'm in good shape when my skin is calm, smooth, and products sink in rather than sit on top of my skin.

A chemical exfoliate is generally a good idea. Especially for those of us in our 40's. Ahem. Cellular turnover doesn't just happen on its own anymore. Manual exfoliant products (scrubs) can be too harsh on delicate skin and generally less effective. I personally have a tendency towards broken capillaries so a chemical exfoliant has been the best option for me for years. But in my opinion chemical exfoliants are simply more effective.

Lactic acid is a alpha hydoxy acid. Other alpha hydroxy acids are glycolic acid and citric acid. In my experience, skincare professionals tend to push glycolic acid which is very effective and quite strong. Lactic acid is considered to be a bit more gentle but it is also fairly strong. The truth is, your skin gets used to alpha hydroxy acids which make them less effective over time so you will want to ultimately mix them up or rotate to maintain effectiveness. At times, you will need to take a break. So the truth is there is no one chemical exfoliant product that you should use for all time.

The moral of this story is pay attention to your skin and modify your routine as needed. Also, you don't have to be a slave to the latest skincare craze.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Controversial Ordinary

Huxley Secret of Sahara Oil Essence; Essence-Like, Oil-Like