DENT ALERT

It's time to talk about the dreaded face dent.  If you have one you know what I'm talking about.

If you don't, I want you to promise me right now that you won't smush your face into your pillow at night or drag your face down in any manner.  Do not give gravity a helping hand.  Repeat after me, "I [state your name], promise never to smush my face down on my pillow EVER."

I'm really having a Miss Jean Brodie moment here.  This is a public service.  I don't give myself enough credit for the good work that's taking place on this site.

Anyway, I actually have avoided the face smush in my life.  I'm a side sleeper but I've always consciously made sure any possible smush was going in the up direction, never down.  A dance teacher I had as a teenager gave me this invaluable advice.  This amazing woman, truly the living embodiment of a Patrick Nagel painting at the time, would scold us if we smushed our faces in our hands when she talked.  "Push up," she would say.  "Never, EVER, push down on your face."

I never forgot that advice.  When I think of the sheer generosity of this woman it humbles me.  Thank you Debbie Wilson.  You really did change my life for the better.  I may not have ever become a dancer of any consequence, but damn did you save my face. 

That said, there comes a time in your life when the dreaded dent just sort of appears regardless.  Especially when you are on the thinner side.  Your face kind of hollows out a bit, hence the injectable.  I have no interest in injectables or paralyzers.  First of all I'm simply not that rich.  Second, it's gross.  Third, it never looks right.  Can I get an Amen Housewives of Bravo?

Someone, somewhat less generous than my childhood dance teacher, pointed out that a concealer won't help me because I have dents under my eyes that cause shadows.  I say that this information wasn't generous because I didn't ask for it.  Nevertheless, it was a bit of an eye opener.  I have dents?  Sometimes we really do need these things pointed out to us.  If you look at my profile picture here taken a little over year ago, you'll see the shadows under my eyes.  That concealer wasn't helping me. 

Denial is a powerful thing.

Enter a nifty little tool called the Ultimate Performance Perfector Pencil by Mally.



This is one of those products I got, initially didn't get, and then forgot in my drawer.  I don't have massively deep wrinkles so I didn't really think it made much difference when I drew then into my little elevens.

But then I started snagging and looping about my dents and it occurred to me, "oh yeah, I've got that pencil."  The idea behind these little concealer/highlighter pencils is to use the thin line on dents and deep wrinkles that are causing shadows.  You line right in the spot that's receding and it literally pulls it out of the shadows.  You want the color to be a lighter than your foundation and even your concealer.  The idea here is to pull that receding area forward.  It really does work.  Just make sure you're only getting the receding, dark bit, not the skin around it.  Spread the skin out a little with your fingers to get in there to avoid that outer area.  The size of this pencil really does work great for this purpose.

The formula has staying power but It's a bit tricky to blend it without erasing it so use a light tapping motion.  I often simply draw it in without blending and then tap my concealer onto the rest of my under eye area.  That seems to pull it together.  Do what works for you and your face.  It has hyaluronic acid, so while it feels a bit dry at first, it will absorb some of the moisture in the air and relax.

Anyway, all this said, I LOVE these pencils.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY AIMEE BOICE ON OCTOBER 25, 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Controversial Ordinary

To Good Genes or not to Good Genes. That is the Question.

Huxley Secret of Sahara Oil Essence; Essence-Like, Oil-Like